Chronotopia: Second Skin
A downloadable game for Windows, macOS, and Linux
Chronotopia: Second Skin is a unique rewriting of the Donkeyskin fairytale, a darker variation of Cinderella. Follow Kionna into a painful but ultimately rewarding search for her true self.
The plan was supposed to be simple, almost ridiculously so.
When her father, driven mad by years of grief, suddenly decided to force her into marrying him, Princess Kionna enlisted the help of her childhood friend. Together, they managed to contact her long-lost fairy godmother. Surely, her powers would save her from this hellish fate. Kionna would be able to escape the castle, a prince charming would find her, and they would live happily ever after.
Alas, magic can only do so much. Things keep spinning out of control. Trapped in an endless nightmare, the princess ceaselessly rewinds time in a race with death itself. Is a happy ending truly waiting for her at the end of the tunnel?
Kionna perfectly encapsulates what you would expect from a fairytale princess. Naive and sheltered, she means to do good but comes across as haughty due to her upbringing. Unfortunately for Kionna, she cannot rely on others forever. To escape her fate, she will have to learn to fight for herself…
Nahima’s whole world revolves around Kionna. She has been her confidant for as long as she can remember and she is dead set on staying this way. Deep down, she knows this is impossible but she is not ready to let go. After all, if Kionna truly leaves, she wouldn’t have use for her anymore, would she?
Médeia is not quite the traditional fairy godmother. She makes it abundantly clear she is not interested in becoming Kionna’s magical sidekick. The sooner she helps her, the sooner she can return to the magical realm. And that is all that matters as far as she is concerned. Or is it? For someone who always appears so unfazed, she seems to care an awful lot...
While life is not as convenient as Kionna had hoped, her dream might not be completely out of her reach. Indeed, there are numerous handsome lords in her vicinity who would make perfectly fine suitors. Could one of them be her Prince Charming?
- A captivating plot full of unexpected twists and existential dread
- Over 200 000 words of content with multiple endings (20-30 hours of playtime)
- 2 GxG (Nahima and Médeia) and 1 GxB (the "Prince") romances can be chosen at the end of Kionna’s journey
- Unlockable archives connecting the story to real-life European folklore
- Several gameplay phases to experience the semi-realistic medieval world in a different light
- Beautiful artwork, with animated backgrounds and special stained-glass illustrations
- Frequent use of cinematic shots to make the reading more immersive
- A full original soundtrack with celtic influences
- Available in both English and French!
[…] there is something special about Chronotopia that sets it apart from the rest! With a dynamic and diverse cast, and a wickedly captivating plot, this game is sure to be a commercial success for Träumendes Mädchen. - review from Nice Job Breaking It, Hero